Monday, March 14, 2005

Healthy, wealthy and wise

When I was in elementary and high school, waking up at 6 or 6:30 a.m. wasn't a big deal. But in college, 8 a.m. classes are considered torture. I thought that once too, but after several semesters I realized that getting classes out of the way in the morning and having the afternoon to yourself is really nice. Students are much more productive if they have class in the morning, do homework in the afternoon and can relax/have a job in the evenings. Sleeping until 11 a.m. or noon just wastes half of the day.

What does this have to do with anything? Well, I'm looking at the course schedule for next semester and I can't find any TuTh 8 a.m. classes in the liberal arts! I was offered an internship for the fall provided I can spend at least two full days a week there, meaning I'd have to have class either TuTh or MWF. I've worked out 12 credits of history on TuTh and can complete a full 15 credits if I have an 8 a.m. class (as the first history courses doesn't start until 9:30 a.m.). I only have 6 credits of journalism left to take, but neither of the courses I need meets in the morning (though there is one from 7-10 p.m. Wednesday, but I'd like to be able to go to CSC Holy Hour and CDA meetings!) I also looked up courses in literature, French, Spanish, Latin, American studies, classics and art history and none are offered TuTh 8 a.m.

I think the university should require departments to have more morning classes. Professors should realize people outside the world of academia must report to work at 8 or 9 a.m. five days a week, not at 11 a.m. two or three days a week. Students should also start learning that if they want a stable job after college, it's very likely it will require them to be at work no later than 9 a.m. I realize people say students won't go to early classes and anyway that they need their sleep. To that I say: whatever. College students need more sleep, but they aren't losing it because of early classes. They're losing sleep because of poor time management coupled with society's (and parents' and professors') nearly impossible level of college performance that focuses only on the acquisition of good grades and flashy internships and not on the development of the whole person mind, body and soul. But, nevertheless, college is supposed to be challenging. If you can't deal with one 8 a.m. class a semester, then you have problems bigger than a lack of sleep.