Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Summer Reading List

I'm now accepting nominations on what to read for the summer. I do like many of the books I get to read for classes, but they leave little time for pleasure reading in college, and I want to make up for it in the summer. Last summer I was fairly productive, having read Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, Hugo's Les Miserables (got through about 800 of the 1400 pages before the summer was over), Pope John Paul's Crossing the Threshold of Hope and St. Francis de Sales' Introduction to the Devout Life, in addition to tons of children's literature while working/reading to kids at the Center for Young children (for recent children's books releases, I recommend the David! series and the book Mudpuddles - a huge hit with my 3-year-old class).

For this summer, Fr. Bill already recommended one, there's a big book release planned (guess what it is!), there's a couple I've started but not yet finished, etc., etc.

So, in no particular order, here they are. I'm open to other suggestions/changes/etc.

*Chesterton's Orthodoxy
*Twain's Huckleberry Finn
*PJP II's Memory and Identity
*Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
*Woodward and Bernstein's All the President's Men
*a reread ofRowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to prepare for the release of...
*Rowling's Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
*continue reading The Catechism of the Catholic Church
*reread of Thomas a Kempis' Imitation of Christ. I think the translation I had before wasn't very good, but luckily my wonderful roommate got me a different translation for Christmas, knowing that I love St. Therese and this book was her favorite.