Monday, May 09, 2005

Christian Music in Morocco

The NYTimes reports on a joint Christian-mainstream Moroccan music festival held in the heavily Muslim country.

I myself have never been a big fan of contemporary Christian music. I find most of it poorly written, poorly produced and overly sentimental (I might be a woman, but I hate sentimental stuff). Exceptions are, of course, my brother Thomas' praise and worship band Seraphim and Notre Dame grad and Mother Teresa fan Danielle Rose. Plus, I actually find many other genres of music to turn my thoughts to God in a more harmonious way. But to each his own and if this has any effect on Moroccan Muslims and their views of Christianity, then more power to them and to the bands. I think the biggest effect, however, will simply be the interaction between people from the East and the West.

The only real problem I had with this story was this:

The concert was about more than power chords for Jesus. From
the evangelists' perspective, it was an opportunity to gain a foothold in a
relatively liberal Muslim country and give religious priorities a more central
role into American foreign policy.
"We see ourselves as doing important foreign policy work that the Bush Administration is not doing," said the Rev. Richard Cizik of the National Association of Evangelicals, a Christian-values lobbying group in Washington and one of the organizers of the festival.


I don't know about you, but I do have a respect for the healthy separation of church and state and think it'd be a horrible, horrible, horrible idea for the U.S. government to engage in missionary work. You can love President Bush all you want, but I'd rather leave the spreading of the Gospel to the proper religious orders and the appropriate Church-supported and approved lay groups (I'm speaking here of missionary work in the traditional sense, not, of course, in the very legitimate modern sense of us all being missionaries of the Gospel on some level).