Sunday, May 08, 2005

My Mom

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! And a very, very happy Mother's Day to my mom and my grandmothers.

I could write volumes on why my mom is so wonderful:

1) She's smart. My mom has a bachelor's degree in history from Loyola University New Orleans, a master's degree in history from Brandeis University, has been been certified for 20 years by the Archdiocese of New Orleans as a catechist, including most recently getting the highest certification - that of Director of Religious Education.
2) She's hardworking. In addition to the great task of raising four children, my mom has also been a Catholic educator for more than 25 years, teaching in schools in the Archdiocese of New Orleans including Cabrini High School , St. Scholastica Academy, Our Lady of the Lake School and St. Margaret Mary School.
3) Most importantly, she's the most selfless person I know. I'm not talking your regular mom sacrificing for her children thing. I'm talking about a genuine, humble woman who always puts others first. She'll never offer what she wants, she'll always ask you what you want. Many times, I don't even have an idea what she wants - where she wants to go to dinner, what movie she wants to rent, if she really needs to use the phone before me, if she really has the time to drive me somewhere, etc., etc. She's the kind of mom who will still cut your chicken for you when you're 27 (shout out to my brother Patrick), or wake up at 5 a.m. in the central time zone to call you when you're a junior in college to make sure you're up at 6 a.m. in the eastern time zone to finish that paper.

When I was last home over Spring Break, my mom was telling me how it's a parent's greatest wish that their children are better people than they are. Not necessarily more successful, wealthier, prettier, or more privileged. Just simply better people. With a mom like mine, it's hard to even equal her, let alone be better. Happy Mother's Day, Mom, I love you. And thank you.