Monday, May 30, 2005

You Know What's Amazing...

About this Washington Post story on France's rejection of the European Union constitution? I covered the same stories as Post reporter Craig Whitlock last year when I participated in UMD's Capital News Service, a graduate-level program I did as a sophomore in which I reported full time for a semester from the Maryland State House in Annapolis. Craig was in Annapolis last spring covering the slots debate. Immediately after the end of the 2004 session last April, he was transferred to Germany, where I believe he is still based. I remember sitting in the speaker of the house's conference room last year with Craig and 4 or 5 other statehouse reporters (including the AP's Tom Stuckey, who's covered Maryland politics for about 30 years or so and is the dean of the Annapolis press corps) talking to Speaker Mike Busch about the slots showdown going on. Most of the interview was off-the-record. But it's cool to think that I covered the same stories as someone who's now covering major international news (I know Craig also did stories on the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, some stuff in Saudi Arabia, etc.) I also got to work alongside other Post reporters ( including Lori Montgomery - who's now covering the DC City Council for the Post) and Sun reporters (including David Nitkin, who was one of the two reporters in Gov. Ehrlich's utterly ridiculous news ban).