Monday, July 25, 2005

Memory Schmemory

I got tagged with this Memory Meme from Mike of The Easy Distraction. So here goes.

What I was doing...

10 years ago: I was 11 and it was the summer between 5th and 6th grades. I was probably scurrying to finish my summer reading list, which I bet consisted of juvenile historical fiction like Johnny Tremain or Across Five Aprils. Other than that, I don't really remember.

5 years ago: I was 16, a fresh driver, in between sophomore and junior years of high school and had just finished my first real job as a babysitter for the childcare service of a local fitness center. I was also babysitting regularly for a family I had met through that job and was spending lots of time with my then-best friend, Laura, who would be my Confirmation sponsor come that October. (Laura, who is 2 years older than me, is now happily married and will give birth to her first baby in September!) I also went every 2 or 3 weeks to our local Carmelite convent to help them clean and set up their new bookstore as I discerned a vocation.

1 year ago: I stayed with a friend of the family up in Maryland for the summer to do a reporting internship at The (Baltimore) Sun. I think we were also getting ready to go on a vacation to North Carolina, where we visited Biltmore Estate, the largest residence in the country.

Yesterday: I slept in, had a lazy Sunday morning reading the paper in print and online, went with my dad to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, then to the grocery with him to get stuff for dinner, hung around for a few hours until I went to my parish's LifeTeen Mass. When I came home, an aunt, uncle and two cousins of mine from Houston were over at the house, stopping by on their drive to Tennessee for vacation. We had dinner with them and then played games like "watch my 4-year-old cousin pretend to be Dash from The Incredibles." Lots of fun. Then off to the computer for some blogging before welcoming my sister back home from her weekend trip to Georgia for Steubenville Atlanta.

I don't really know who to pass this on to. So I won't.