Sunday, July 10, 2005

Moving Day

My brother and sister-in-law picked me up at about 11 p.m. Friday and took me with them back to their apartment in New Orleans, where I spent the night and woke up at 7 a.m. Saturday to help them move to the house they just bought in rural Covington. Along with the two of them, my sister-in-law's brother and parents helped us move stuff into the U-Haul and then all of us drove over the Causeway (formerly the longest bridge in the world) to the Northshore and their new home. After unloading stuff there, we went back to my parents' and my sister-in-law's parents' and sister's houses in Slidell to pick up yet more wedding gifts and furniture others had given to them. Last night there were 14 of at their house (including a 2 year old and 2 month old) helping them unpack. It was chaos, but glorious chaos nonetheless. It's beautiful and a perfect starter house for newlyweds.

As we unloaded their 200 or so wedding gifts, I realized what would be an awesome wedding gift idea or shower theme: To have every guest give the newlyweds a book that they love but that the bride and groom have not read or do not own. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Additionally, my sister-in-law told me that she is generously giving me $1,000 to go on the CSC's pilgrimage to Rome next spring. She attended the Franciscan University of Steubenville (whose president, Fr. Terence Henry, co-celebrated their wedding Mass) and for a semester her senior year she studied abroad at their campus in Austria. During that time, she got to make pilgrimages to France (Lourdes, Paris, Lisieux) and Rome (Assisi and Rome, where she went to Mother Teresa's beatification). She said her sisters (she has 5 of them) had saved up their money and given it to her to allow her to go on those pilgrimages. She said she wanted to pass that favor along and so created a special savings account and has been putting money into every month since she graduated last year. She was waiting for the right person or group to give it to and when she learned I wanted to go to Rome, she prayed about it and decided to give it to me. She is amazing and God bless her.