Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Prayer in the Classroom

Don't know if this post is quite appropriate for a family blog, but here we go...

My parents, brothers and I were talking about Jewish law (don't ask me why, I don't remember) on Christmas Eve. One of my brothers grabbed a Bible, turned to Deuteronomy (most of the law is in Leviticus, btw) and said through his laughter that he had something to share with us.

When he was in high school, his religion teacher used to ask students if they would like to lead the prayer to start each class. One of my brother's friends (who was in a Legionaries of Christ seminary for a bit before leaving - he just married over the summer) raised his hand and said, "Sir, I have a Scripture passage I'd like to share." Then, as solemnly as he could, he read the following verse, Deuteronomy 23:2:
"No man whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off
may be admitted into the community of the Lord."